About Me

My photo
Passing through my third-life crisis peacefully in South London, finding out new stuff, and then getting cross and excited about it.

Friday, 18 December 2009

The 7 Greatest Christmas Songs You've Never Heard - #3




Getting close to the end of the countdown, now, at which point I resolve to get back to some more skeptical topics.
Speaking of which, everyone go out and buy this. It's skeptical, beautiful and half the proceeds go to Autism research. And, it'll make you cry.

Back to the countdown


This is the hardest choice of the 7, I think, because it comes from my favourite Christmas album of all - A Christmas Spanking - on which there are at least 6 tracks I could have included. However, I'm artificially limiting myself to one per band, as otherwise it would have just been the Spankers and... well, I'm getting ahead of myself.

The Asylum Street Spankers are a Texan band with a changeable line-up. A "Spanker" is someone who is very proficient with an instrument, and the musicality on the album will tell you where that came from.

The highlights? Definitely Blue Christmas rearranged and on a ukelele works wonderfully. A version of Silent Night stripped of all ostentation and played (as far as I can tell) on a saw. Linus and Lucy is a lovely lounge track which I don't recognise but is from A Charlie Brown Christmas, so Americans will recognise it instantly. Mele Kalikimaka is a Hawaiian ditty that'll irritate you all day, and their version of Baby It's Cold Outside has a sleazy quality that fits the lyrics of the song.

But I've chosen You're A Mean One, Mr Grinch because it's more fun than the others, shows off the band's talents in a way that's almost profligate, and because the lyrics are such so unseasonal when compared to other songs I've chosen.

If you download anything off the back of this countdown, make it this album, because I guarantee there's something for everyone on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

There was an error in this gadget