About Me

My photo
Passing through my third-life crisis peacefully in South London, finding out new stuff, and then getting cross and excited about it.

Friday, 25 December 2009

The Greatest Christmas Song You've Never Heard - Lifetime Achievement Award

The Albion Christmas Band



I almost forgot to put this up. There is one band whose raison d'etre is to record traditional folk Christmas music, or Christmas music using folk arrangements. Be warned - you probably won't like it if you don't like traditional English folk music, but if you do, this is the best Christmas present you'll ever get.

The Albion Christmas Band have been going for 4 years. They formed (or perhaps more precisely mutated) from the Albion Band, a folk collective whose membership has ebbed and flowed over the last 25 years, and exist purely to play traditional seasonal music, albeit with a few modern and original tracks thrown in.

The band have toured four years running and recorded a Christmas album in each of the last three years. These are on repeat play on my iPhone from mid-November to early January, and in our flat for a week across Christmas (any longer and I would be evicted by my wife).

The band don't figure my the run down of 7 tracks because it would make the list fairly redundant, and I can't identify my favourite 7. I would highly, highly recommend that you get hold of any and all of the albums.

NB I've just discovered a 4th album as I post this. I am now even more excited than I was - have a lovely Christmas.

1 comment:

  1. The #1 Best Money Making Business in the World

    Others just like YOU,
    who have been searching for
    home based business opportunities,
    have quietly been making it big on their own with STARSCAPES.

    $100, $200, $500, daily
    and up to $1000, $1500 daily and more,
    working from home!

    YOU can do it too! And it's fun!
    Only with STARSCAPES.


    business opportunity
    shopping

    ReplyDelete

There was an error in this gadget