About Me

My photo
Passing through my third-life crisis peacefully in South London, finding out new stuff, and then getting cross and excited about it.

Thursday, 10 December 2009

Libel reform campaign #libelreform



Earlier in the year, it was my absolute pleasure to go to a London Skeptics in the Pub campaign meeting in support of Simon Singh. Simon has been sued for libel by the British Chiropractic Association. The nature of English libel laws meant that he faced ruin over an article he wrote. This has been covered in enormous detail by jackofkent and you can read the basics here at the Guardian, so I won't overdo the details here.

As I said at the meeting, I am not a scientist, nor have I ever played one - I'm an accountant who works in arts funding. But I wanted to help Simon and prevent future injustices of the kind he was facing - I just didn't know how.

However, yesterday, Sense About Science, Index On Censorship and English PEN joined forces to launch the Libel Reform Campaign, and I can only urge anyone who reads this to:

- Sign the petition
- Tweet about #libelreform, blog about it, write about on Facebook and do anything else you can to spread the campaign
- Write to your MP to ask them to support libel reform

I'll do all of the above, and anything else that I can.

There aren't many things I get off my arse to campaign for, but this is one of them.

This and the Guardian.

No comments:

Post a Comment

There was an error in this gadget